Thursday, January 24, 2013

Welching out on a legacy.


I promise I will not spend the rest of my blogging days bitching about the house that rock built, but I read something pretty disturbing today that made me quite mad.

Bob Welch is not in the rock and roll hall of fame.

Before you say "who?", "so what", or something else dismissive, know this: It may be the single biggest travesty in the history of that dipped in shit and steamrolled institution, maybe even bigger than dissin' Kiss.

Bob Welch carried Fleetwood Mac through 4 years of changing times, aka "The Bridge Period". This is the time after Peter Green and before Lindsey/Stevie, or 1970 - 1975. He maintained the brand to the best of his ability despite the ego's that made up the 'Mac, and in a way, dude kind of rocked.

Right now I am listening to the 'Mac's Bare Trees album, thinking about how killer it is, and being dumbfounded by this snub...

Fleetwood Mac was inducted in 1998.

Mac Members in the Hall?
  • Peter Green - Duh... He is the shit of the shit.
  • Jeremy Spencer - Ok... He was there with Pete. I give him that.
  • Danny Kirwan - Yes... Hell yes. Albatross is bitchin, he was a great second fiddle to Peter.
  • Mick Fleetwood - One of the most underrated rock drummers ever.
  • John McVie - Bass line in "the Chain" enough justification for you?
  • Christine McVie - She made lovin fun, didn't she?
  • Stevie Nicks - I believe It could have worked had we had a chance...her loss I guess.
  • Lindsey Buckingham - So amazing. I love his playing.
Criteria to be nominated for the R&RHOF? You must have played on a major label studio LP. Bob should be in on that fact alone. In fact, he played on 5 Fleetwood Mac albums. Consider this also: his last official FM record, Heros are Hard to Find, broke US top 40 Billboard Charts.

 Copied from Wiki:
DateAlbumUSUKAdditional information
September 3, 1971Future Games91Debut album with Fleetwood Mac
March 1972Bare Trees70Features the original recording of "Sentimental Lady"
March 1973Penguin49
October 15, 1973Mystery to Me68Features "Hypnotized", written by Welch
September 13, 1974Heroes Are Hard to Find34Welch quit Fleetwood Mac after this album
November 24, 199225 Years – The Chain34Compilation

He ran the band with Mick. He moved them to California. His Fleetwood LP's sold over 2 Million copies. He was also a platinum selling solo artist in the late '70's, and just for good measure, he fronted the criminally unknown band PARIS (which rocks my face off and just plain rules).

Bob's legacy is recorded, yet not carved in stone. I love/hate you hall of fame, but today I just hate you. They say it was his California style that got him the snub or possibly the lawsuit he had against his former band, who knows? Everybody sues eveybody in the music biz, right? Big deal. It is no reason to leave him out of the history books.

Sadly, Bob Welch committed suicide last year. He was struggling with chronic pain resulting from spinal surgery, and did not want to be a burden to his wife of 27 years. Rest in peace my brother.

They need to induct him posthumously. No fanfare is necessary, just his name on the wall alongside Peter Green's. It's the right thing to do.


 


Others not included in the hall despite there contributions to inducted artists:

Mark Evans
Bass; AC/DC; 1975 to 1977
  • TNT
  • High Voltage
  • Dirty Deeds
  • Let there be Rock
  • '74 Jailbreak
What a bunch of dicks.... This guy should be in.


Dave Navarro
Guitar; Red Hot Chili Peppers; 1993 to 1998
  • One Hot Minute
  • Various Soundtracks
I am no Navarro fan outside of Jane's Addiction, but he was another bridge guy that got the shaft by the hall. That record sold 8 million copies.


Dave Mustaine
Guitar; Metallica; 1982 - 1983
  • No Life 'Till Leather (demo)
Ok... I know... It was a demo, not a studio LP. I get it. I could go on about how he wrote material that appeared on the first two LP's. I could say that Dave was Metallica early on. Dave believes that one day his other band, Megadeth will get in. I am not convinced of that, but he is a legend that should be preserved, with Metallica. 'Nuff said.

There's more I am sure. Like the dude that replaced Joe in Aerosmith for an album, the Firm drummer that was in ACDC for 2 studio albums and a live LP, Mike Watt for being the man in the van with the bass in his hand (and a member of the Stooges), Richie Ramone and so on. These guys deserve better.




Should I tell you about my life? They say I'm a nerd of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment