Thursday, May 23, 2013

Last Week...Paul, Chris and the Hall....


Let’s talk about Last week….

I saw the full R&R Hall of Fame 2013 Ceremony, and it was great. It pains me to say that, really it does. I spend a ton of time bashing them, but they actually gave props to fallen heroes in bands they don’t recognize. In particular, they actually said goodbye to Jon Lord (Deep Purple) and Bob Welch ((Fleetwood Mac – Solo Artist (read: welching out on a legacy – previous blog)) in a video tribute to fallen stars. I have to say it was very classy.

BUT…. Why the hell Deep Purple is not carved in every hall of your dumb house is amazing to me you stupid hall of fame. I digress… I guess you have to go with the devil you know and they finally got Rush right. I could have lived without Alex flubbing the acceptance speech, but hey, I‘ll take it even though I was embarrassed for him.

Along with the HBO Hall of Fame coverage, I went and saw Paul McCartney and Wings “Rockshow” at the I-Max in Pittsburgh Mills. It was awesome and I was very impressed with the re-master/re-release of the film.

I blog about the Beatles from time to time, but I do love me some Wings. Not everybody would go to the theater to see a show like that from 1976, but given the opportunity, I’m there. I forgave the studio overdubs about 5 minutes in, and just sat back and enjoyed it for what it was. I am sure it will be out on DVD very soon, and it is worth the price, so check it out.

Beyond that, I saw Soundgarden last Sunday. I love them, but I will not spend another dollar on Chris Cornell. I saw him last year at Carnegie Music Hall, and it was not great. I loved hearing Sunshower live, but I actually left early out of boredom after that. The Soundgarden show could have been better if they would just realize that they could benefit from actually playing hits and not deep cuts… That hurts to say, but they have an amazing catalog of songs we actually know. Just an observation, so take it for what it is.

Was it a good music nerd week? Yes it was!!! I hope that they all work out like that going forward. On the immediate radar is Frank Turner at Smalls, BARONESS at Smalls (so stoked), and Peter Frampton/Robert Cray at Stage AE.

If you actually read my blog, thank you… I know that my opinion is not always the most unbiased, but 2300+ views is not bad for a music nerd from Western PA.  Feel free to leave feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment