Friday, June 26, 2015

The Pulse of the City

I'm pretty sure that anyone who grew up in Erie Pa before and during my time will remember the sound of the hydraulic driven hammering on 14th and Pittsburgh Ave coming out of the (then) Zurn facility right along the tracks.

Along with the steel driven hammer, from virtually anywhere in the city (possibly right outside your front door, or off in the distance) you could hear the train whistles blowing at all hours, It's a sound that we all accepted and knew to be part of the background noise of our home.

Along with the factory noise and trains, there were church bells. Some rang every hour on the hour during the daytime. At noon on a Sunday, they displayed a melody that was equally awesome and beautiful.

Now, add the sound of traffic, put all of that noise in a blender, and evaluate what type of creative output comes naturally to an impressionable young mind.

It's a commonality among art across the modern world, and it's ingrained across many forms of musical and visual creativity.

From the early days of the blues, where young musicians tried to incorporate the chug, shuffle and horns of the trains into their art, into the basic 4/4 timing of Rock and Metal which was partially rooted in the hydraulic pounding of hammers and presses), forward on to the pulse of the street sounds ingrained in Hip-Hop, to the modern sounds of the computer age incorporated into techno, the background noise of our lives has been prevalent in the noise we create as art and entertainment.

Rhythm and melody can be found in anything. I'm my carreer, I find myself humming in the key of whatever power generating or paper making equipment I happen to be close by. Worse yet, if I am close to something pounding (like a press or a generator), I'm singing in the timing I am hearing.

I'm so into music that I have a hard time sweeping the floor without making a rhythmic shuffle out of it, and I'm sure that many others do the same. 

I get up in the morning, I believe I dust my broom.


Call this blog a prequel to an Industrial Music blog. I have much to say in the matter (big shock), and wish to explore the topic a little deeper than I typically do.

Until then, love each other equally. 

Nago





No comments:

Post a Comment