Saturday, November 12, 2016

Uber to see Iggy.


Last night I went to see the movie "Gimme Danger" at the small indie Harris Theater in downtown Pittsburgh. For a few blessed hours, shit didn't matter. That's how I know I liked the flick. The small screen and low sound volume was a plus, as all 20 people in the seats (capacity of 200) shared intimate moments of laughter together. Kinda rad.

I went alone, and in my life, that's not unusual. Not too many "vanillas" are in the know on things I may find mint. I got the feeling that the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust struggles to keep places like this alive. With 20 people at $8.00 a clip on a Friday night, how does one afford prime real-estate in Downtown Pittsburgh?

The movie itself was basically an extended "Behind the Music" chronicling Iggy and the Stooges from its 1967 conception to the Coachella reunion of '03 (and beyond). The art house treatment of the story sets it apart from the flare of an overproduced, hour long TV bit, which speaks perfectly for the band that influenced all that followed.

Iggy Pop has a flare for summoning great stories. His ability to recreate moments with words are equal parts funny and graceful. He is a true individual spirit on this planet of sheep. 10 minutes into the Stooges story, Iggy throws out a reference to the songwriting process that hit me hard. He says his lyrical approach was meant to be the opposite of Bob Dylan's "blah, blah, blah." His approach was 25 words or less for each Stooges song. The "Keep It Simple, Stupid" rule in its purest form.

As a songwriter, I never paid attention to word count. I know me, and now and forever, I will. That doesn't mean I will adjust the count, but I'll always count.

Ok, the fun takeaway.  You know the pic of Iggy standing on the crowd from the late '60's (see above pic)? As I watched the footage, iconic rock images popped into my head. I've decided to hunt them down and make a Rock wall in my game room. A few early contenders for the Nago Icon wall:






I'm sure there's more... I'm open to suggestions. The Joan Jett pic is an old favorite I'm putting back into rotation, stat.

Support underground stuff, please. True art is not some manufactured Idol rubbish mass produced and fed to the population at large. If you are reading this, you already know that.

May all your favorite bands stay together. - Dawes

Nago

No comments:

Post a Comment