Monday, November 6, 2017

Bad Hair Day, July 1987


For many years, I have avoided deep diving into my youth in regards to Bon Jovi. Last week, a picture popped up in my timeline that ended the cycle of avoidance. This photo, taken on July 25th, in the year of our Lord, 1987 (30 years ago), captures a moment of people waiting in line to see what was to become my first major concert experience.

I was 12 years old that summer, and a true, blue poser. My sister's friend somehow ended up with a few extra tickets to the concert event, a rare outdoor stadium show in Erie, PA. That fateful day, Bon Jovi brought his "Slippery When Wet" tour to the Veterans Memorial Stadium, located at the foot of what locals referred to as "the Whore House on the Hill," also known as Academy High School.

Why such a large structure was constructed at the foot of an inner city high school in a somewhat small city is a story not found on any current Wiki page, but, Veterans Memorial Stadium was constructed in 1924 as a large football playing field. Officially, it seats 10,000 in the stands. That day, the field was open to general admission. The recorded head count for the Bon Jovi concert was 15,608 people.

We all remember it being hot that day, as several people were treated for heat exhaustion. For Erie, a city that sees 101 inches of snow (on average) per year, it was blistering. According to the web, the temp was 84 deg. F, with 91% humidity. In an era of long hair, jeans and high tops, I am sure the ozone layer had a huge hole over Erie County due to the large amount of Aqua Net represented by the crowd in attendance, which most likely added to the heat index of the day.

This L.P. and tour were breakout moments for Bon Jovi. It cemented them in the eyes of pop culture as more than just another Hair Metal band. Their production, songwriting and promotional values set the bar for the next wave of pop-rock, including the "live setting" music video trend that every single band followed for years. Bon Jovi quickly rose to the top, and somehow even managed to survive the Grunge trend a few years later.

Women loved the look and easily accessed hooks of what became an instant classic. "You Give Love a Bad Name," "Living on a Prayer," and "Wanted Dead or Alive" were the three huge hits off the L.P., and justifiably so. Guys quickly gravitated to the harder edge of the album, which may have been the first true successor to Def Leppard's massive 1983 release "Pyromania" in terms of pop metal production.

The lines were very blurry then, and "Heavy Metal" fandom encompassed Maiden, Crue, Bon Jovi, and Metallica somewhat equally. Even the heaviest of the previous generation released lighter offerings around this time (Judas Priest "Turbo" and Iron Maiden's "7th Son of a 7th Son" for example). Bon Jovi fit the mold perfectly, and if I am being honest with myself, "Slippery When Wet" was awesome for this young music fan at that time. Already a fan of the previous 2 releases from the band, having spent many an afternoon jumping off of my bed strumming a broom to the sad, yet catchy af, and hugely underrated "Only Lonely" from 1985's "7800 Deg. F," I was primed and ready for the radio friendly follow-up. I am sure the concert was a major deal in my young life. The timing was perfect.

Jon Bon Jovi had family ties to the Erie area. Every now and again a pic would surface of him standing with a local person. I remember seeing one of him with his arm around the lunch lady from my middle school. I had known several people claiming to be his "second cousin" or some such rubbish. Honestly, everyone knew someone claiming to be related. I guess Erie needed that connection at the time. We were a town struggling with identity, grasping to the positivity of a world wide connection to greatness. We were, and remain, a rebellious lot. Today the city is alive with bike rallies, outdoor shows and block parties. Back then, were a culture straight out of  B Movie Hollywood, equal parts American Graffiti, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Breakfast Club and Heavy Metal Parking Lot.

The excitement of that day, mixed with the heat exhaustion and confusion of the first time concert experience makes the whole thing a blur to me. My best memory is of a girl I had never met before giving me some water. I guess I looked rough, and ready to pass out. Again, it was hot.

If a picture is worth 1000 words, the pic shared by the Erie History FB page did not disappoint. From what I do remember, neither did the band. Erie is full of human history, and is a special place for its resilience. It has been 15 years since I came to the 'Burgh, yet I still identify myself with Erie. It is the land of my youth and the ground that my forefathers helped shape. 

That hot July day was one many will cherish, and have cherished for some 30 years. Whether it be untrue tales of opening band, Keel, besting the headliner, memories of a long ago romance making out in the crowd to "Never Say Goodbye," or the immense sound of Sambora's acoustic opening of "Wanted Dead or Alive," the day will live on in the hearts and minds of many Erie-ites in infamy.

Nago

No comments:

Post a Comment