Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Diamond is the rough


I have been putting off writing this blog for a few years. The time is right, because Dave made it so.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, David Lee Roth publicly announced that he would like to see Michael Anthony back in Van Halen. Good form Dave. 

I have to be honest, I never thought Dave would ever be a voice of reason. DRL, to me, always seemed like the kind of person that stayed up late working on his skit speeches, funny quips and feminine stage gear.

DRL got on my nerves. He was the only person who got the joke usually. 

I remember a poster in Circus Magazine with Dave wearing plastic rings as bracelets. The ones that fit on a cone that kids play with. 


Yeah... I found the pic...

So why have I put off writing this blog? I am a Sammy era fan of Van Halen. There, I said it.

5150 was brilliant from start to finish, and "Dreams" still gives me chills.

OU812, was less good, but the song "Mine All Mine" meant a lot to me on a spiritual level. Lyrically, it's a great moment.

And when I was 16, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was a beast. It yielded the unforgettable and amazing moment "Right Now".

So I like well crafted songs? Is that so bad? I don't think so.

I don't have any issue with Early VH, but I do think there is a ton of filler on all but 2 of the LP's. 1984 was the most complete of the catalog, but no one can take away the impact that Van Halen 1 had. My personal favorite is Fair Warning.

But, I wasn't around for the party. I came later. The DRL Rock God had already fizzled by the time I cared. David was a joke. By 1988, when I was 13, he was a parody of himself. I was into thrash. David Lee Roth, to me, was some douchbag in assless chaps and thin album production.

It feels good to get that out there, and I don't care what the haters think... They gonna hate anyway!

Sammy and Eddie made some magical moments. It transcended VH beyond their forged ground that was doing quite well at the time via the likes of Poison. Winger, and whatever other Chest Hair Band that worshipped early VH. 

A few more points to make:
- Sammy Hagar is batshit crazy
- Eddie Van Halen is Batshit crazy
- Alex is Eddie's puppet, which is batshit crazy.
- Wolfie is in an impossible situation.       Secretly I root for him to make his own stamp on entertainment.
- Michael Anthony seems pretty cool.


That is all.

Runnin with the Nago.






1 comment:

  1. Fair warning is my favorite VH disc. The only one in my IPod ! No wonder we get along. Now as for Van Hagar it sucked just sayin!

    ReplyDelete