Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Blitzkrieg Bop with sour cream?


I am a Ramones fan. I've talked about it before, but tonight I have an extra special reason to talk about them. They are now selling tacos...

Blitzkrieg Bob in a Taco Bell commercial? That's right... This is a few years after the same song appeared in a Nissan commercial.

Normally, I have no issue with artists selling their music to make money. The Biz today is much different than previous years. Artists have to go to extreme measures to generate income.

However, I have 2 very obvious problems with the Ramones selling out to Taco Bell.

1. All of the original Ramones are dead.
2. Punk rock was supposed to stand for something.

The spirit of Punk pointed a middle finger at the establishment and created art for the misfits of society. To quote the Refused: "new art for the real people."

Radio was bogged down with dinosaur rock and disco. Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles, albeit great music, was lost on a generation of kids trying to make sense of the world handed down to them. The ass end of the Baby Boom was tired of the formulas laid out for them by the previous generation. 

Punk was pure. 

People site bands like Iggy and the Stooges, MC5 and New York Dolls as the spark that ignited the scene, but the Ramones are the Black Sabbath of Punk and the godfathers of the movement. The band that inspired other New York bands like Talking Heads, Patti Smith and Blondie, as well as across the pond with Sex Pistols, The Clash and Generation X.

Ramones lived punk until the day they all died. Joey, Jonny, Dee Dee, and Tommy changed everything and burned themselves into the underground of American culture. 

Dee Dee Ramone was a main songwriter for a while. His contributions to punk rock puts him at a status above other influential Punkers. He was crazy, he was a drug addict, he even tried his hand at Hip Hop, but the thing he did best was counting off 1,2,3,4, and writing some of the most iconic, simple and catchiest songs ever put to vinyl.

I will always think of the original Ramones as a perfect storm. 4 awkward guys that decided to take over the world, and actually believed that they could. They were odd, not well trained, but magical and very musical in their own way. DIY never got much better.

So now they sell Tacos? How in the fuck did that happen? They are all dead, so they don't need the money, and that means some greed is in play. To see that makes me ill. The only thing I can even imagine being worse would be Lennon's "Working Class Hero" in a Walmart commercial.

The Clash sold out London Calling a long time ago, yeah I know. That bothered me too. Again, it's only because the spirit of what it all stood for is diminished by shit like this. What did it all mean? 

That's the way of things when greed gets involved. Someone is cashing in. Shame on them. I don't eat Taco Bell, so I can't even boycott.

Sheena is A Punk Rocker, the KKK Took My Baby Away, and Carbona not Glue are probably my favorite Ramones songs, but everything pre 1986 is golden to me. Whenever Ramones comes up randomly on a playlist or the radio, I get sucked in and everything else gets tuned out.

The Taco Bell commercial did not have that effect on me.

Gabba Gabba Hey


Nago













No comments:

Post a Comment