Monday, November 9, 2015

Trapped in a box? Oh well.

Blame Gwen and Blake for the inspiration (I want to punch myself in the face for even knowing anything about them today). Somehow they led me to the downward spiral that is my thought process, and a few keystrokes later... Walla!



"Chain, keep us together"

In the personal lives of the authors of Fleetwood Mac's opus, the words define unity through adversity. "The Chain" was a therapeutic exercise given two power couples invested actively separating during its composure.

Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham's well documented break-up during the sessions for "Rumors" adds to the legend of the band. The less discussed divorce of John and Christine McVie (and Christine's affair with the lighting director) during the same period had to be equally traumatic. Imagine the tension in that room. Wowza.

The pain which forged "Rumors" helped the LP sell over 40 million copies worldwide.



Unitatem per Ardua.

No Doubt also comes to mind when I think about relationship breakups within a band. Gwen and Tony Kanal worked out their break-up of a 7 year relationship while penning the LP "Tragic Kingdom." "Don't Speak," the most personal note from Gwen to Tony, spend 16 weeks at #1 on the billboard charts. 

Gwen's little FU to her ex-boyfriend propelled the album to over 16 million units sold worldwide.



Breaking up is hard to do. The above examples are two bands surviving through the pain of loss, somehow working alongside the source of their heartache to achieve greater heights.

I've written my own sad songs during times of heartache. Although not iconic in any way, when I listen back I can feel exactly what I was feeling at the time. Dark days and loss captured in song. I wonder if the megastars still feel pain in their art of yesterday?

Two years ago, I penned the following from my own pain. It's still hard to listen to.



I find difficulty believing every emo breakup song I hear today. So much of it feels uniform. I'm not discrediting anyone's personal journey or how they choose to portray it. I just question most of today's music as "by design" versus "inspired." If your entire sound is laid out before you for the entirety of your career, when do you write a song like "The Chain?"



Fleetwood Mac was a British Blues band years before they developed into the band brave enough to write and release "Rumors." From there, they launched into another stratosphere.



No Doubt started as a SoCal Ska band. "Tragic Kingdom" is far from it. It took years for them to break the Ska mold, but it took a break-up to make them superstars.


One last thing:

All musicians have a "go-to" when they grab an instrument. My "go-to" on bass is "The Chain." The iconic line has been called the best rock bass riff of all time. Given the genre I call home (metal), I disagree, but I can not deny its awesomeness.

Taken out of context of the song, it doesn't sound like much. 10 notes, some repeated. Big deal, right?  Yet, in the framework given, the timing, the feel and the placement makes it iconic. It's moody, and for me it's John McVie's middle finger to his ex-wife.

I love the grove of the line, and I hope to rip it off someday. I'll try to change it just enough to get away with it. Maybe I'll throw some pain in there for good measure.

That is all.

Nago





No comments:

Post a Comment