Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Grandpap and those damn Beatles...


It's been a while since I've written about my Grandpap. I was reminded Sunday night about how opinionated he could be when he believed something to be right, and how funny he could be even when not trying.

In case you haven't followed this blog since its inception, I'll give a little background info: My Grandpap, Thomas J. Gannon JR was born in August of 1913. He lived to the ripe old age of 98. He was a very traditional Irish Catholic man and could be as stubborn as anyone I have ever met.

Not too long after my arrival on this earth, he was close to collecting his modest pension from the U.S. Postal Service and begin to enjoy retirement. Given the house on Oakwood St. had long since been paid for, he could afford himself a few perks in life. Every few years he would buy the latest Oldsmobile Cutlass. Tom always insisted he wanted a Cadillac, but in his mind he "settled" for an Olds.

He loved to drive. It was his freedom. He had been driving since the Great Depression, and as long as he had wheels, he was basically a happy old man.

I like to think it was apparent pretty early on in my life that I was going to be a music head. I'm sure Grandpap knew it. I think he got some enjoyment in introducing me to Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey and sometimes even the Rat Pack. He didn't stray much in his tastes musically, and the car stereo was always tuned in to some random Erie PA AM station playing "The Hits of Your Life." This channel was pretty progressive actually, they would spin "Puttin' on the Ritz" after a good turn of "Pennsylvania 6-5000."

One day fateful day in 1985, while riding shotgun with Grandpap on a weekend errand run, he changed the channel. He allowed 2 songs to play in their entirety on the JET top 40 radio station. Maybe it was an attempt to show his grandson how "with it" he was. Maybe it was a treat for the young music head. Who knows?

First song up was Mick Jagger's "Just Another Night." I was a little horrified sitting next to my elderly grandfather listening to Mick singing a plea for one more romp. To be fair, I was probably 10, but understood this was something I shouldn't be listening to with Mr. Gannon.

Next up: Animotion's "Obsession." That's right, another song that bluntly asks for sex. The horror of hearing the chorus sitting next to my 'pap is very memorable.

At this point, I'm sure the readers of this story are thinking "Mike, why are you so full of crap?" Look, as a writer, I take creative freedoms from time to time, but I really can't make this shit up.

Grandpap let the song finish, then turned off the radio. After a few seconds of silence, he spoke: "Everything was fine until those damn Beatles came along."

He was right.

I miss you G. I hope you're enjoying your rest.

Nago



No comments:

Post a Comment