Sunday, October 2, 2016

Silly Love Blogs...



I had a conversation last night regarding how crazy it is the Beatles still fascinate and inspire the hearts and minds of the masses. So much so, to this day, anyone can write a book, movie or article about anything related to the topic, and actually profit from it. It's been 46 years, and we still gobble up "new information." (Insert irony, it's a blog about the B...... Never mind).

I'm not going to tear down any of these works. I do consume with caution when the sources pull out 50 year old memories, especially during a cash grab. They have a tendency to rely heavily on refined opinion. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but a person can create 50 years of separation from the actual event while over emphasizing the importance of their own contribution. Call it human nature.

Writing about actual events, and trying to keep assumptions of the author out of it is difficult. In some cases it's impossible. I have heard about a published work on the moment John Lennon "discovered rock and roll." I have not read it, but assume it is a work of complete fiction. If I ever stumble across it, I'll read it. I reserve the right to "stick it to the man" by buying it at a second hand book store. Books like this may just deserve a "straight to paperback" download section (more irony?) on my Amazon Prime account. $0.98 purchase would motivate me to get it faster. 

Rock and Roll fan fiction isn't new. Most times, a fictional account of an event is better than the actual event. Last year in Las Vegas I saw the "Million Dollar Quartet" musical and loved it. I've always enjoyed the movie "Almost Famous," and I have several works of fan fiction on my own bookshelf. It's a fun way to pay tribute.

A romanticized version from a genuine place of admiration? What's wrong with that, I'd like to know, cause here I go, again....

That's me though. An odd duck leaning every direction but straight down the middle. I tend to look backward into nostalgia for some strange reason, and at the same time, I create grandiose plans for the future. Both burn me equally. I'm totally cool with that. Pessimistic attitudes bore me, even my own on occasion. 

This morning I'm spending a much needed (and long overdue) bonding moment with Paul McCartney's 1971 solo LP "Ram." I feel like Paul was in a similar mindset. The troubling past was sort of behind him, and the future was sort of in front of him. Not really a limbo moment, but not balls out living for the moment either. 

Here's a partial summary of the Wiki: 

1. Critics at the time hated it.
2. Legal BS surrounded him at the time
3. Credited to Paul and Linda
4. Lyrically and musically pissed off the other Beatles.

And so on. 

It's no Abby Road, but it's a good solo release completely on par with anything else of the day. There is a nice continuity to it. I wasn't there, but I can't imagine anyone on the street level hating it. It's not even remotely bad at all.

Maybe 45 years of musical hindsight skews any possibility of actually understanding what the issues were. I can cut through some of the crap and say that RAM isn't a Beatles record. Is it possible the critics expected Paul to run home and fix the issues? Like a musical equivalent to slut shaming? 

Who knows what the hell was going on in the moment except the moment itself? I am aware of the folklore surrounding the time, so no need to educate me on it. I wouldn't even trust Paul’s "PR" response today on the subject. He is very good at painting rosy pictures regarding tough questions. His hindsight is a positive force of nature.

It's enough for me to just enjoy his work on this October Sunday morning. It is a small moment in my life where the demons are a bit silent. The dark is not quite gone, and the light of day is not quite here. It looks to be overcast anyway and that's ok too. It's familiar ground.

Nago.

PS: sorry for 6 month break. I was reminded yesterday how much I love writing, and it motivated me. Thank you MAN.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment