Monday, February 20, 2017

Songwronging.

I like to believe I write good songs. Its really a passion and sometimes my favorite thing about me. I've blogged at length about the process and how unrewarded it can make you feel. When it's good, and for no other reason than to write, it can be most rewarding.

As someone who writes, I can appreciate a great song regardless of genre, as long as its not too disingenuous. Because of the business of Pop Culture, an entire industry of songwriters compete for the next major hit more often than performers do. Being a starving singer songwriter bears no accolades 98% of the time. For every Taylor Swift, there are 7 Million talented songwriters who will never date John Mayer and express their thoughts in song for the world to actually hear. Taylor writes good songs. She also has the luxury pool of talented people to assist, but her knack for ear candy is perfect for this day and age.

There are some who look under rocks and in smoky underworlds to find great talented songwriting. I fall somewhere in between. I am just as likely to freak out of a jam on Liquid Metal as I will on Coffee House, but know enough to find other sources to feed my hunger for fresh material.

Country Music surprises me more often than I admit. There is some great original art coming out of the sticks. Eric Church, an artist I cannot confirm actually writes at all, has some very good song selection beyond the scope of, yet with respect to, the Country genre on whole. A compliment from me to him, yeehaw.

Everything I write, regardless of genre, is me and a guitar. Its a raw form of writing, but it's perfect for me. It's honest. Just strings and my voice.

I've been tooling around with a song for months now. It's gone through a couple of transformations over the course of time. Every time I believe I am on the right track, the focus shifts. It's proving to be a challenge, but an accepted one. I have asked for, and received, opinions from the outside world, but it's my recipe to phuck up, so Imma stop that, stat. Also, this new song is not about anything other than a story. My new mantra adopted from the process: "Sometimes shit just rhymes."

It's a good thing, actually.  I'm in a good place. I'm not heartbroken, desperate, mad or crazy. Life is definitely on a upward climb right now. The people around me are happy, and I choose to be happy as well. So, no desperate pleas of longing, no "Let Out" lyrics, and no crying from me this week. I am writing about a daydream of sorts: running away with a girl to the beach.

Why? Because sometimes shit just rhymes.

Kill a word.

Nago

No comments:

Post a Comment