Friday, February 6, 2015

Sleepless in Tatooine


I'll admit it. I like Star Wars. I was the right age when it came out to have it be ingrained in my DNA. 

I was Luke Skywalker for Halloween when I was in 1st grade. It was a plastic mask stapled to a very flimsy rubber band and an orange plastic X-wing jump suit. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.


I had some action figures. I beat the hell out of them. In my defense, most of the battles they engaged in probably had an imaginative plot that oversaw the destruction of the evil planet of giant Barbies. You'd be surprised if you understood how little remorse Chewbaca had reeking havoc on the fragile limbs of my Sisters beloved Skipper. 

My friends and I snuck beer into the re-release of "A New Hope," and George Lucas emassed a portion of his fortune selling me re-mastered versions of his originals on both VHS and DVD. I also committed to the first 3 books released shortly after George licensed the rights, which subsequently was my first realization that a sub-culture of educated SW geeks existed, and was kinda cool. I actually bonded with a girl I hated over Star Wars.  

It should also be mentioned that every time I see the movie, I can't help but wonder how many innocent contractors died when the Death Star blew up (thanks Kevin Smith).


Like millions of others, I suffered through Episodes I through III, and I still find myself getting really pissed about the blatant disrespect and contradictions George tried to shove down the necks of a nerd culture he helped create. You don't mess with Star Wars, even if you did invent it.

On my birthday, I received a Wookie mug from my Neice. I secretly want to use it tomorrow morning for my coffee. I think I will.

Tonight, I introduced a toddler to the the original Star Wars, and as we were watching it, I came to the realization that it was kind of stupid. But I love it anyway. As a species, we tend to really love very stupid things, right? So I choose to continue to love Star Wars.

I'm cool with Disney taking over and franchising it. I like the idea of Mark Hamil getting to work again, and I am overly proud of Kerry Fisher for losing the weight to reprise her defining role. 

It's strange to care so much about such a silly thing. 

I'm going back to bed. Goodnight.

Nago.


No comments:

Post a Comment