Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Bowie...



It's sad. I was just saying the other day how I didn't always understand Bowie. It was in response to seeing his new video, and like everyone else, had no idea he was leaving this earth.

I have had a few days to reflect on it, and even though I didn't always understand his art, the truth is some of his art has had a profound effect on me. I heard "Heroes" today, and got all choked up. It's a strange sensation when a song has that effect. It took me back to a different Mike Nagorsky, a more innocent version of myself, and just like that I was in a moment, in 1998, still in my hometown, still seeing the world through a young man's eyes. Unaware of the hard years ahead.

I came to a realization that an artist like Bowie can cause a ripple effect not completely understood until its gone. True art can absolutely sneak up on you and cause an unexpected emotion, much like music can transport you to another place and time when you least expect it..


Let's start from the beginning.

I first became aware of David Bowie at the age of 8 in 1983. "Let's Dance" was in heavy rotation on both the radio and MTV. It wasn't exactly my favorite song back then, but hindsight tells me that it was perfect for it's day. It fit so well in with the radio of that day I lump it in with other pieces from the era like Naked Eyes "Always Something There to Remind Me" and Eddie Grant's "Electric Avenue" as a soundtrack of sorts to a period of my life.

We lived on Baur Ave in Erie, PA at the time. It was the projects, but as far as projects go, it was decent living, low cost, safe and clean. I cannot vouch for them today, but back then they were probably as the government intended when the idea of a "project" first came up. I remember getting punched in the face by Michael Freed at one point, but basically they weren't bad. I digress.

My sisters and I found a bit of freedom in the Radio. In my faded memory, it was always on. One memory about the time that stands out: I was missing a lampshade on a lamp in my bedroom, and the glow of an unshaded light bulb hurt my eyes. I needed to do something. My eight year old brain got to work, and decided a pair of tighty-whitey Frooties would be a good solution to the problem. 15 minutes later, the underwear placed directly on the light bulb was smoldering and filling our home up with thick white smoke. I'm not positive, but I think "Let's Dance" was playing in the back-round while my step father flipped the hell out. Good times.

From there Bowie seemed to always be around. Weird videos, crazy outfits and a certain stylistic flare deemed completely uncool to a young headbanger in the 1980's.

One day however, David Bowie became very cool to me. My Mother, who in the years between 1983 and 1989 became a local Wedding DJ, received a promotional copy of a hugely underrated band called "Tin Machine." She would occasionally throw me copies of the more obscure or heavy music she knew she would never play. By 1989, my headbanger seeds were well sown, but "Tin Machine" threw off my equilibrium. This was Bowie?



Granted, there is nothing Metal about Tin Machine, but by 1989 I had been exposed to enough Punk, Album Rock and other genre's to understand Tin Machine was special. In a way, they were ahead of Grunge by a few years (with all due respect to Pixies).

The same month of 1989 saw the launch of Rock Radio into the Erie PA market. Rocket 101 became a mainstay in cars, shops and houses across Erie County. The format was fresh (to us) and catered to the blue collar crowd having grown up on the likes of 70's album rock. In it's regular rotation were "Space Oddity," "Rebel Rebel" and early Ziggy Stardust classics. Also included was Mott the Hoople's song "All the Young Dudes" which (of course) was penned by Bowie. It became over exposure eventually, but we all became (and still become) students of Bowie because of Rock Radio formats.

A few years later, Nirvana gave us their haunting rendition of 1970's "The Man Who Sold the World." It's definitely a favorite of mine as it's burned into my DNA now. I prefer the Nirvana version, but its a spot on acoustic nod to the original.



This brings me to my former favorite Bowie moment. In the early 2000's, I became a HUGE Queen fan. I consumed their greatest hits catalog with a hunger. Freddy is still my favorite vocalist of all time. However, their shining moment for me is the accident which became "Under Pressure."  This song is the true measure of David Bowie as a musician. To be able to not only hold a candle to the greatest rock vocalist to ever have lived, but to outshine him by being unafraid to shine for the sake of the song? That's a form of brilliance my friends. It still gives me chills:



To the end of this tribute to the fallen, I leave this Blog with a message of hope penned by David. This song truly touched me today, and I will forever hold it close for that reason. The world is better for having known you for a brief period. Safe Journey and Godspeed.





Nago

No comments:

Post a Comment