Saturday, January 30, 2016

Nostalgia in Musica



As a fan of many styles of music, I often lose countless hours searching for material that moves me. It could be a blistering metal jam, a classical score, a hip-hop beat or a power ballad. Regardless of the genre, music with an "it" appeal tends to be hooky and palatable for me.

In my taste, more often than not, it has to be smart also. You will never watch me Whip or Nea Nea. I'm just not built for it, and have no interest in the dumbing down of culture. I know I am in the minority, and I'm fine with it. No bueno.

This past week I have been listening to a large amount of nostalgic (for me) music. In particular, honest music. I found some new favorites along the journey.

Let me start with a song that tears at my artist soul. It's a bit cliche, but I can listen to Thunder Road on repeat fortnightly. The poetry of the lyric, in its simplistic honesty, is a guilty pleasure. I relate to the idea of escapism, having escaped a few times in my own life story.



From there I am drawn to the Dawes song "All Your Favorite Bands." I get weepy when I hear it. I find myself being proud of strangers for writing such a simple, yet powerful message of hope. It's a lyric I wish I would have written.



I absolutely love that music can still have some effect on me. At 41, I am a little less connected to the "flavor of the month" music, and can cut straight through to what I enjoy. Trying to be cool carries little weight these days. It's liberating not caring what anyone thinks about my tastes.

Which brings me to Big Wreck. My son loves this band as much as I do (more actually). Musically, the band is on another level. Lyrically, the band is metaphorically brilliant. "Albatross" is a song I carry with me daily. It's relate-able to my life, and how I feel most days. It's a classic "carry that weight" lyric. "It's OK, and I'm alright." Muy Bueno.


I'm getting a little off track here. However, if Big Wreck is amazing due to musicianship and traditional metaphor, Nahko and Medicine for the People are great for their musicianship and nontraditional metaphor. I was turned on to them by a friend I hold dear, even though we don't speak anymore. This song (and my friend) taught me about my ego, and how I really didn't understand it at all.



"Wash it Away" reminds me of the 90's. It has hints of Rusted Root minus the over the top delivery.

So concludes my gospel for this amazing Friday night. Stay safe. Love one another equally. Be a man among men, a women among women, be a guardian. I leave you with a song I wrote: Cold.





Nago






No comments:

Post a Comment